Contagious Psyche of the Customer
Recently I did a small study wherein a small negative intervention in the consumption experience of an individual customer had a ripple effect amongst a big number of customers. Some take aways from this exercise were:
- Customers remain irrational for a big number of times.
- Even if the fault is that of the customer one always poses that the fault is of the manufacturer.
- Other customers feel the pain and sorrow much more than the affected one.
- Without applying any logic or looking at the past record of the brand the customers denounce it.
- Interestingly new customers who have yet not used the brand at all are the first to buy this opinion and look for substitutes.
This sort of phenomena leads us to draw following conclusions:
In India due to low self esteem we do not try to test things or facts ourselves but go by word of mouth of related people. Secondly we do not want to spend the time and energy to do the research ourselves. But we believe in facts and figures presented by others without any authentication. This passive attitude of the customers actually makes the job of marketers easy as they have to divert the funds from Advertising and promotion and put them in social media or creating a word of mouth. Many of us really relish the comments on the internet before any purchase and decide accordingly.
This makes Marketing more Perception and Psyche related than Product line innovation or need set related. It remains to be seen that such a phenomena only exists in India or in Asia or worldwide.